Planet Earth and its fundamental characteristics; structure of the Lithosphere; geological provinces; the Earth's crust and the Moho; Isostasy; endogenous dynamics and vertical and tangential motions of the crust
Plate tectonics; plate boundaries and geological processes; divergent margins; ocean spreading; rift; convergent margins; subduction zones: volcanism and seismicity; collision zones and mountain ranges; Plate tectonics and the rock cycle.
Basics on the exogenous dynamics; The weathering; biostasy and resistasy; the soil; slope stability; exhumation.
• Climate changes: evidence from the past, the oxygen isotope curve and eustatic curve; climate changes and orbital parameters.
• The magmatic processes; magmatism and plate tectonics; the different types of volcano; the different types of volcanic activity; examples from Italian volcanoes; relationships between shape of edifices and style of volcanic activity; notes on the volcanic risk.
• Earthquakes and faults; intensity and magnitude and their significance; relations with the co-seismic fault motion; global seismicity.
• Basics on river dynamics and flood risk.
• Tutorials: use and interpretation of topographic maps.
Lupia Palmieri & Maurizio Parotto "Il Globo Terrestre e la sua evoluzione" Ed. Zanichelli