The scope of this acdemic course is to provide technical and scientific bases to evaluate the energy performance of buildings and energy systems, as well as to make students capable to approach the preliminary design of the energy systems (solar plants, thermal systems).
To this aim, the most recent technologies for the energy efficiency of buildings and systems will be introduced, as well as the corresponding design approaches. Thermal comfort and Indoor Air Quality will also be addressed. The students will be able to perform Energy Certification of buildings and dynamic energy simulations, and to conceive the building design by being aware of all the requisites introduced by recent legislation on energy efficiency.
FIRST SEMESTER: Design of teh energy performance of buildings
1. Energy performance of the opaque envelope components
2. Energy performance of the transparent envelope components
3. Natural ventilation and Indoor air quality
4. Controlled Mechanical Ventilation systems
5. Thermal comfort
6. Building integrated photovoltaic systems
7. Acoustic performance of the building envelope
8. Dynamic energy simulation for building energy performance
During the first semester, 20 hours will be devoted to laboratory activities, where the students (in groups of two) will perform the dynamic energy simulation of a dwelling, in order to assess its final energy needs and the thermal comfort perceived by the occupants in summer. The simulations will concern both the as-built condition and a series of retrofit solutions. The results of the simulations will be summarized in a report.