The course aims to provide students with theoretical and practical insights on control methods
for crop pests in order to develop technical skills for the definition of plant protection programs against insect and other pests.
At the end of the course the student will have acquired specific and updated knowledge on the main techniques for controlling crops from animal pests.
The course will comprise classes (n. 35 hrs), laboratory and field training (n. 14 hrs) (traditional classes or online courses)
Should teaching be carried out in mixed mode or remotely, it may be necessary to introduce changes with respect to previous statements, in line with the programme planned and outlined in the syllabus.
Learning assessment may also be carried out on line, should the conditions require it.
Information for students with disabilities and/or DSA.
As a guarantee of equal opportunities and in compliance with current laws, interested students can ask for a personal interview in order to plan any compensatory and/or dispensatory measures, based on their specific needs and on teaching objectives of the discipline. It is also possible to ask the departmental contacts of CInAP (Center for Active and Participatory Integration - Services for Disabilities and/or DSAs), in the persons of professors Giovanna Tropea Garzia and Anna De Angelis.
Evolution of the control methods of insect and other arthropod pests. Integrated pest management: principles and application techniques. Principles of
biological control. Cultural methods. Biotechnical methods: semiochemicals and signal manipulation. Physical methods. Genetic methods and biotechnologies for pest control. Chemical control: Chemical and biochemical properties of pesticides; Legislation. Examples of IPM applications.
1. PENNACCHIO F. 2014 Gli insetti e il loro controllo. Liguori Editore [ISBN: 978-88-207-5351-1].
2. COLAZZA S., PERI E., LO BUE P. 2018. Lineamenti di Entomologia in Agricoltura Biologica. Palermo University Press. [EAN: 9788831919104]
3. VIGGIANI G., 1997. Lotta biologica e integrata nella difesa fitosanitaria, Volume II: Lotta integrata ai
fitofagi. Liguori, Napoli (ed.) [ISBN 88-207-2239-9].
4. BACCETTI B., BARBAGALLO S., SÜSS L., TREMBLAY E., 2000. Manuale di Zoologia Agraria. Delfino
Editore, Roma [ISBN 88-728722227];
5. Radcliffe E.B., Hutchinson W.D., Cancelado R.E. (Eds.). 2008. Integrated Pest Management. Concepts, Tactics, Strategies and Case Studies. Cambridge University Press [ISBN: 9780521875950]