Ability to read and vocalize texts in Standard Arabic;
ability to recognize and apply the basic grammar rules of Standard Arabic;
knowledge of the main Morphological aspects of Standard Arabic;
knowledge of the main Syntactic structures of Standard Arabic;
ability to translate sentences and texts from Arabic to Italian and from Italian to Arabic.
knowledge of the main genres and authors of Arabic Literature;
ability to translate and analyze literary texts.
Modulo I (6 CFU)
further analysis of the five nouns;
degrees of the adjective;
the hal clause
the relative clause;
the sisters of kana;
verba geminata: (first form and main derived forms);
conjugation and uses of IX form;
declension of irregular nouns (–in and –an);
adverbials of time and place;
quadriliteral verb (I form);
the passive of the triliteral verb;
verba primae infirmae (I form and main derived forms);
verba mediae infirmae (I form and main derived forms);
verba ultimae infirmae (I form and main derived forms);
the numerals from 11 to 99.
Arabic literature from the origins to the end of the Abbasid period.
Modulo II (3 CFU)
use of the vocabulary and translation exercises.
elements of the Arabic language spoken in Egypt.
Arabic literature from the Nahdah until today: main genres and authors.
N.B. 6 credits: the students will study only the module A.
Manuals and grammars
1. Luc-Willy Deheuvels (ed. italiana a cura di A. Ghersetti), Grammatica araba. Manuale di arabo moderno, Zanichelli, Bologna, 2010, vol. 1.
2. Luc-Willy Deheuvels (ed. italiana a cura di A. Ghersetti), Grammatica araba. Manuale di arabo moderno, Zanichelli, Bologna, 2010, vol. 2.
3. L. Veccia Vaglieri, Grammatica teorico-pratica della lingua araba - vol. 1, Istituto per l'Oriente C. A. Nallino, Roma (I edizione).
4. S. Louis, Kallimni ‘Arabi Bishweesh, The American University in Cairo Press, Cairo 2009.
- Traini R. (a cura di), Vocabolario Arabo-Italiano, Roma, Istituto per l’Oriente;
- E. Baldissera, Dizionario compatto Italiano-Arabo, Arabo-Italiano, Zanichelli.
Arabic Literature textbooks:
5. R. Allen, La letteratura araba, Il Mulino, Bologna 2006, from the beginning until p. 258.
The Professor will provide a selection of passages taken from some literary works and texts in order to expand students’ knowledge about the main topics dealt with during the classes. This material will be available on the online platform Studium.
Please remember that in compliance with art 171 L22.04.1941, n. 633 and its amendments, it is illegal to copy entire books or journals, only 15% of their content can be copied.
For further information on sanctions and regulations concerning photocopying please refer to the regulations on copyright (Linee Guida sulla Gestione dei Diritti d’Autore) provided by AIDRO - Associazione Italiana per i Diritti di Riproduzione delle opere dell’ingegno (the Italian Association on Copyright).
All the books listed in the programs can be consulted in the Library.