BACTERIOLOGY – Bacterial cell, bacterial staining methods, metabolism, bacterial nutritional requirements and cultivation, bacterial division and growth curve. Bacterial genetic modifications. The human normal bacterial flora. Opportunism. Bacterial pathogenicity and virulence mechanisms. Bacterial strategies against host defences. Biofilm, bacterial synergism, quorum-sensing. Direct and indirect diagnosis of the bacterial aetiology diseases. Disinfection; sterilization. Antibacterial agents: mechanism of action, spectrum of activity. Antibiogram. MIC, MBC. Antibiotic resistance mechanisms. Innate or acquired resistance. Bacteria of medical interest, with particular attention to Streptococcus, Staphylococcus, Spirochetes, anaerobic bacteria, Neisseria.
VIROLOGY - General characteristics of viruses. Viruses of medical interest, with particular attention to HBV, HCV and HIV.
MICOLOGY - General characteristics of fungi. Fungi.
PROTOZOOLOGY - General characteristics of protozoa. Protozoa as human pathogens.
ORAL MICROBIOLOGY. The oral ecosystem. The oral cavity as habitat. The main native microorganisms of the oral cavity. Characteristics of the oral streptococci. Role of the bacterial factors on the colonization of the oral cavity, adhesion factors, bacterial-bacterial interactions. Dental plaque: formation, composition, variations, microbial interactions, biochemical activities and mineralization.
Dental caries: etiopathogenetic theories, caries as infectious and multifactorial disease, main bacteria involved. Caries prevention. Microbiological aspects of periodontal diseases. Therapeutic approaches to the infections of the oral cavity.
Antibacterial agents: mechanism of action, spectrum of activity.
Antibiogram. MIC, MBC.
Antibiotic resistance mechanisms. Innate or acquired resistance.
Epidemiology of multiresistant bacteria
- La Placa – Principi di Microbiologia Medica – Società Editrice Esculapio.
- Murray P. R., Rosenthal K. S., Pfaller M. – Microbiologia medica - EMSI
- Lakshman Samaranayake – Essential Microbiology for Dentistry – Third edition – Churchill Livingstone, ELSEVIER.
- Lamont R.J., Burne R.A.,Lantz M.S., LeBlanc D.J. – Microbiologia ed immunologia del cavo orale – EMSI
- Elliott T., Worthington T., Osman H., Gill M. – Microbiologia medica ed infezioni – Quarta edizione – EMSI
- Microbiologia farmaceutica – Carlone N., Pompei R. – Casa Editrice EdiSES
Microbiologia farmaceutica – Carlone N., Pompei R. – Casa Editrice EdiSES