STATISTICA M - Z
SECS-S/01 - 9 CFU - 1° Semester
Teaching StaffANTONIO PUNZO
Palazzo delle Scienze, 3° piano, stanza 24Phone:
- Knowledge and understanding: The course provides basic concepts in statistics (summary statistics, probability calculus, statistical inference, linear statistical modelling). These essential tools of statistics theory are applied for data analysis in business and economics.
- Applying knowledge and understanding: The student has to be able to perform statistical analyses of data in business and economics, using both descriptive and inferential statistical tools, as well as linear regression models.
- Making judgements: The student has to be able to select the appropriate statistical tools to analyse data and draw conclusions based on the results of suitable statistical analyses.
- Communication skills: The student is expected to learn the technical language needed to understand/write properly a statistical report in the area of economics and business.
- Learning skills: Ability to understand the logic of the statistical reasoning.
Detailed Course Content
- Simple Statistical Distribution. Data tables. Numerical and categorical data. Frequency distributions. Frequency density. Statistical ratios and index numbers. Arithmetic mean. Median and percentiles. Variation. Variance, standard deviation, Relative variation: variation coefficient. Concentration. Box-plot. Skewness and Kurtosis.
- Multiple Statistical Distributions. Contingency Tables. Joint distributions, marginal and conditional distributions. Means and variance of marginal and conditional distributions. Association between statistical variables. Covariance and correlation. Linear regression: coefficients, goodness-of-fit and residuals analysis.
Probability. Events. Probability. Rules for probability. Conditional events. Conditional probability. Independent events. Random variables. Association between random variables. Probability models for count data: uniform, binomial, hypergeometric, Poisson and Gaussian.
Statistical inference. Sample distributions: Student-t.
- Point estimation. Estimators and their properties.
- Confidence estimation. Confidence level. Confidence bounds for means and proportions.
- Hypothesis testing. Null hypotheses and alternative hypotheses. Test rules. Significance level. Power of a test. Statistical tests for means and proportions.
1. M. Zenga - Lezioni di Statistica Descrittiva, Giappichelli, Torino, 2007
2. P. Newbold, W. L. Carlson, B. Thorne - Statistica 2/Ed., Pearson, 2010
Open in PDF format Versione in italiano