To prepare the student to the concepts of specific determinants of health and illness, to the evaluation and management of different types of risk and to provide the basis for epidemiology and prevention.
To develop statistical and methodological abilities applied to the analysis of biological/biomedical events by: i) the principal tools of statistical data collection, measurement and analysis and ii) the basics in data management and analysis using comprehensive statistical software
The course includes lectures in which continuous interaction with the students is encouraged, and exercises in the classroom and in the laboratory to develop the ability to apply the knowledge acquired during the course.
The course includes lectures in which continuous interaction with students and exercises in the multimedia classroom is encouraged, using specific statistical software, with examples to apply the knowledge acquired during the course.
Hygiene, Epidemiology and Prevention. Environmental Hygiene. General epidemiology of non-communicable diseases. Prevention of non-communicable diseases. General principles for primary and secondary prevention of non-communicable diseases. Epidemiology and Prevention of Genetic diseases. National Prevention Plan. Screening of cancer. Requirements and general measures of biohazards management .General epidemiology of infections and infectious diseases. General principles of infectious diseases prevention. Active and passive immunization.
Methods and techniques of statistical documentation. The biological variables.
Monovariate data synthesis measures
Bivariate analysis: the causal relationships between variables. Correlation and association measures. Regression analysis.
Probability and statistical inference. Chi-square test; Student's t test.
1. G. Gilli. PROFESSIONE IGIENISTA MANUALE DELL'IGIENE AMBIENTALE E TERRITORIALE. Casa Editrice Ambrosiana
2. Ruggenini Moiraghi, GM Grasso IL RISCHIO BIOLOGICO NEI LABORATORI: EPIDEMIOLOGIA, VALUTAZIONE E PREVENZIONE CG Edizioni Medico Scientifiche
3. Barbuti S., Fara G.M., Giammanco G. – IGIENE, MEDICINA DI COMUNITÀ E SANITÀ PUBBLICA. Edizione EDISES 2014.
4. Paul A. Schulte. Molecular Epidemiology: Principles and Practices. 1993.
During the course other texts and documents mostly in English language will be recommended
1. Biostatistica - M.Pagano, K.Gauvreau - II edizione italiana, Idelson-Gnocchi
2. MM Triola, MF Triola. Roy J. Biostatistics for the Biological and Health Sciences. Pearson International Edition
During the course other texts and documents, mostly in English language, will be recommended